Skills for Work
Skills for Work is a national programme, aimed at providing educational training opportunities to help employees deal with the basic skills demands of the workplace. The programme is particularly targeted at low skilled workers, who may not have the confidence to embrace change, put themselves forward for general training opportunities, or take on new roles or tasks within the workplace. The programme is funded by the Irish Government under the Department of Education and Skills through SOLAS and delivered by the Education & Training Boards (ETB) across the country
What is the Skills for Work Programme?
- A SFW programme may include a variety of subjects which support the educational needs of the employee.
- The programme is offered on company premises where possible, the local ETB Adult Education Centre, or an alternative convenient location.
- A SFW programme is designed and delivered in a flexible and adaptable way to meet the needs of the employer and employee.
- Programmes are generally anything from 21-36 hours duration
- Sessions are usually 2 – 3 hours long and can be arranged for mornings, afternoons or evenings
- Participants may be released from work to participate in SFW programmes.
- Courses can be accredited or non-accredited and can lead to qualifications up to QQI Level 4 on the National Qualifications Framework
- There are no tuition fees.
What kinds of courses are on offer?
Courses can be themed to the exact educational requirements of workers, in the various sectors, and cover topics which include:
- Workplace Language Support – for employees whose first language is not English
- Communications Level 2-4.
- Business English
- ICT – Introduction to Computers, Internet and Email, File Management, Outlook, Word-processing, Spreadsheets, PowerPoint etc.
- Computers for Farmers
- Customer Care
- Health and Safety in the workplace
- Food and Nutrition for today’s workplace
- Personal Development
- Retail Skills
- Everyday Mathematics for the workplace
- Career Preparation – for internal promotion
- Culinary Operations etc.
Who can avail of the Skills for Work programme?
The programme is available to all private, semi-private employees who meet the criteria i.e. those with few out-dated or no educational qualifications, in full or part-time paid employment, over 18 years of age.
For more information please contact
Noelette Dolan Skills for Work Coordinator North East Region Cavan Monaghan Education and Training Board Unit 5, Church View Square Cavan, H12 A592 Tel: 087 9293531 or Email email@example.com