What is the Accounting Technician Apprenticeship?
Cavan and Monaghan Education and Training Board is one of the ETBs nationwide that is offering the Accounting Technician Apprenticeship. The apprenticeship is available through Monaghan Institute which is one of six colleges nationwide which will roll out the new National Accounting Technician Apprenticeship in September 2017.
The new Accounting Technician Apprenticeship is a practical route to a rewarding career in accountancy where participants put their learning into practice, mentored in both college and the workplace. They get paid at least €17,797 a year and tuition costs are fully funded.
The Accounting Technician Apprenticeship is a National Apprenticeship leading to a Level 6 QQI Award.
This programme provides school-leavers, mature learners and existing employees with a practical route to a career in accountancy.
Apprentices are taught skills and such as:
- Bookkeeping and accounting systems
- Accounts preparation
- Conceptual and regulatory frameworks
- How to prepare financial statements
- Business functions and management
- Business ethics, CSR, Law and Corporate Governance
- Tax Administration, Tax Management, Personal Taxation, PAYE, VAT
- Payroll, spreadsheets and budgeting
Registered employers are operating in industry, practice and the public sector. They are offering two-year employment contracts, where Apprentices will be trained ‘on-the-job’, in every aspect of the qualification, and will be closely mentored by a qualified accounting technician or accountant.
How does this programme work?
Apprentices study one day a week, and then put their learnings into practice while working in an office four days a week.
Apprentices are mentored on the college side by our experienced lecturers.
This programme will suit:
- School-leavers (18-22 years old) who prefer practical training to full-time academic study, and students who thrive in an environment where they are putting learning into practice every day. The programme offers school-leavers an alternative to full-time third-level study.
- Mature learners (aged 23 or above) who are looking to change career or move into a finance role.
- Employees who are already working with a participating employer and who would like to move into a finance role.
Accounting Technicians Ireland is managing the recruitment process for the Accounting Technician Apprenticeship. Interested applicants should first visit www.accountingtechnicianapprenticeship.ie, where they will find programme information, eligibility requirements, the application form and tips and advice on completing it.
Applicants who meet the eligibility requirements are forwarded to prospective employers for consideration, and successful applicants will commence with a two-year Apprenticeship contract in September 2017.
For further information locally please contact Gaye McGuigan, Senior Training Advisor firstname.lastname@example.org or 049-4331044